Chances are, you are not a professional coach. If you aren't, don't worry, you can still be a great coach! You don't need to have experience with soccer. The best youth coaches are not necessarily soccer experts but good "people managers". Here are some tips to help you be an ideal coach.
· Be positive and have fun. Kids will follow your lead.
· Have a plan. Create a practice plan and stick to it. Follow the play-practice-play methodology.
· Avoid the 3 L's.
o Laps. Find better alternatives for conditioning that involve soccer movements and do not use them for punishment.
o Lectures. Keep speeches and pep talks to 30 seconds or less.
o Lines. Avoid having players stand for long periods of time. Find drills with limited waiting periods.
· Demonstrate drills, don't just talk through them.
· Educate yourself. Read practice plans, take a coaching course, talk to other coaches.
· Take your education to the next level with online and in person courses.